BROOKLYN, NY – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest analytics jobs around!
We are working with Ashford.com in their search for a Senior Manager, Site Analytics / Data Scientist based in trendy Brooklyn, NY — birthplace of Adam Sandler, Woody Allen, Eddie Murphy, and Marisa Tomei.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: Funny story about this search: About two weeks ago, Ashford.com’s new President called me about a handful of potential searches. I was out of the office when I took his call so I didn’t have an opportunity to pull up his LinkedIn bio as we began our discussion. After exchanging pleasantries, we got down to business and he asked me to step him through my qualifications for helping him topgrade his team.
My experience with Presidents (even excellent ones) has been that the vast majority know TONS about business but relatively little about ecommerce. With that in mind, I answered his questions as simply as I could, schooling him respectfully in the basics of ecommerce staffing. My rap was kind of 101-ish, if you know what I mean. Well, it turns out that Ashford.com’s new President is none other than Engle Saez, the former CMO of both Blue Nile and Eddie Bauer, who was also an SVP of Marketing at Starbucks.
It was like lecturing Ted Williams on hitting.
Anyway. Engle was extremely gracious and listened politely for about 20 minutes before saying that I knew my stuff. But he could have squashed me like a bug if he’d wanted to. I relate that story to candidates because it’s always nice to know you’ll be working with somebody who is phenomenally well experienced, smart, and has a sense of humor. Plus, Engle has a really exciting vision for the business.
So here’s the 411 on this role:
This role will be about turning analytics into insights — and using those insights to develop the strategies and tactics that can optimize site performance. Working behind the scenes, you’ll sift through mountains of data to identify the market trends and customer biases that will impact Ashford.com’s KPIs. You’ll be putting a process around what’s working — and lobbying hard to eradicate what’s not.
“There’s nothing as devastating to an opinion as a number.”
Currently, Ashford.com is using Omniture, but the firm isn’t married to that platform. And while it’s possible that you’ll occasionally engage outside help, this is an individual contributor role where day in / day out you’ll find yourself trolling the data for great ideas, looking things that are broken, and developing analytically-biased ways to grow the business.
We’ll expect you to bring analytics best practices to enhance Ashford.com’s customer experience, and we’ll rely on your intensely curious nature and love of numbers to help the team “keep it real” in the areas of online merchandising and user experience. You’ll be the ONLY person at Ashford.com who’s solely responsible for site analytics — and you’ll report directly to Engle Saez.
How’s that for “visibility to senior management?”
We’ve got plenty of information that we can share with highly qualified candidates about Ashford.com’s marketing budget, bidding tools, agency relationships, strategies, and more. We have greatly enjoyed working with Engle, and we have learned a lot about marketing on our calls with him. If you really want to take your marketing knowledge to the next level, Ashford.com would be right up there with NYU.
The only difference is Ashford.com will pay you handsomely. NYU will charge you an arm and a leg. If you’d like to know more about this opportunity, please apply below.
- Partner with business stakeholders in marketing, merchandising, and customer service teams to understand priorities, objectives, processes, and initiatives.
- Propose actionable recommendations based on business needs and priorities.
- Create custom KPI reports to support business functions and align reporting approach and KPIs with global organization.
- Produce and present recaps and recommendations to support business functions
- Create a ‘culture of analytics’ through education and evangelism and empower the end user and by infusing fundamental KPIs and analysis into key business functions.
- Propose and coordinate A/B and multivariate tests to optimize marketing programs, site experience and promotions, and merchandising.
- Work with agencies and external partners to ensure consistent and accurate measurement and reporting
- Give data-driven insights on locally specific online consumer behavior, purchasing trends and online shopper profiles.
- Work closely with external partners such as agencies to assist with data collection and reporting for campaign measurement and analysis.
- Ability to deviate regional insights, create holistic dashboards based on data from different sources and relate them to key business outcomes.
- Ability to share country-specific insights with global business analyst and user experience teams.
- Deliver country-specific experience to global business analyst and user experience teams.
- Coordinate regional A/B-testing activities and identify gaps in data capture.
- Above all, the Regional Business Analytics Manager should be enthusiastic about suggesting actions for quantifiable business improvement and consumer satisfaction.
- Functional expert in business intelligence
- High experience in web analytics, specifically Coremetrics required
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- 3-5 years experience in eCommerce business intelligence environment
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH IS CLOSED.