OMAHA, NE – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest SEO Manager jobs around!
We are working with Oriental Trading in their search for an SEO Manager based in Omaha, NE. This is a terrifically cool SEO Manager job.
OTC (a Berkshire Hathaway Company) is America’s largest direct merchant of value-priced party supplies, arts and crafts, toys and novelties. Additionally, OTC is a leading provider of school supplies and affordable home décor and giftware. The firm promotes fun in how it takes care of its employees and customers, and it trusts its customers to take care of spreading the word.
OTC’s CEO is Sam Taylor — a prince of a guy whom I’ve known since he was at Best Buy. Here’s Sam on the reality show Undercover Boss. If you really want to know what a kind of folks these are, watch a few minutes of this video …
OTC began in 1932 as one of the nation’s first wholesalers of value-priced novelties and gifts. It became a major supplier to the U.S. carnival trade in the 1950’s before expanding in the 1970’s by using catalogs and direct marketing to target consumers, retailers and businesses. In the 1980’s, OTC’s first toll-free phone number and seasonal catalogs brought continued growth. In the 90’s, while many other catalogers were resisting change, OTC found new ways to reach its ever-growing number of customers.
Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway saw tremendous value and growth opportunity in OTC and made the decision to purchase OTC in 2012. Operating from the Berkshire Hathaway philosophy, OTC acquired MindWare Holdings in 2013 and SmileMakers in 2014. MindWare is a manufacturer, wholesaler, and direct retailer of “brainy toys for kids of all ages” that complements the OTC family of educational products. SmileMakers is the leading brand catering to the dental and health care markets, helping to expand the consumer reach for both Oriental Trading Company and SmileMakers.
Naturally, it was a smart move.
Today, OTC continues to serve customers through colorful catalogs and the Internet. The firm offers more than 40,000 products to meet the needs of businesses, not-for-profit organizations, individuals, schools, churches and teachers. The company is based in Omaha, Nebraska which is also home to four Fortune 500 companies. Forbes Magazine ranked Omaha sixth on the American’s Most Livable Cities list based upon employment, income growth, cost of living, and arts and leisure opportunities.
OTC employs ~2000 employees at several locations in the greater Omaha metropolitan area, and it’s a strong, growing and entrepreneurial company. A recipient of the prestigious Omaha 25 Awards for Corporate Citizenship and the National Communitas Award for Corporate Social Responsibility – Making A Difference, OTC works hard to make the world a better place to live, work and play.
OTC’s Catalogs and Web Sites
OTC is committed to outstanding customer service offering easy ordering, speedy delivery and no-hassle return policies. Its websites have both the VeriSign Secure Site Seal and the Better Business Bureau Online Reliability Seal. The firm operates in several primary markets:
- Oriental Trading: Novelties, toys, party supplies, crafts, gift items for every holiday and year-round fun.
- Crafts: Easy-to-do craft kits for every occasion and season.
- Inspirations: Religious gift items, decorations, novelties and more.
- Party: Everything people need for life’s celebrations
- Hands on Fun: Creativity for the classroom.
- Scrapbooking: A one stop for unlimited paper crafting possibilities.
- Sensational Beads: The world’s link to beading fun.
- Wedding: Everything for showers, ceremony, reception & more.
About the Role
As OTC’s SEO Manager, you will be responsible for the optimization and continued development of the company’s various websites and campaigns, as well as the development and testing of new ideas, theories and methods. Your job will be to gather, develop and optimize the content that will drive natural search traffic and order conversion.
- Day-to-day management of all natural search engine marketing campaigns
- Oversight and management of internal and external SEO resources
- Research and strategic planning for natural search campaigns
- Understanding changes in search engine best practices
- Recommending and execution of optimization of existing site components including, but not limited to, copy, architecture, and filenames
- Work with development teams on new and ongoing updates to insure best practices are used to enhance natural search
- Perform detailed site analysis and document tactics to enhance performance
- Develop projects and components from scratch to test new ideas, methods, theories and estimated sales impact
- Review industry leaders and competitors to create site and program benchmarks
- Remain current on search engine methods and updates as the industry changes
- Educate team members in Merchandising, creative and content to insure best search engine optimization (SEO) outcome and customer experience
- Build engaging content and assists with content implementation by utilizing knowledge of search engines, algorithms and spiders.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA is preferred
- Five to seven years of experience in search engine optimization and marketing with a background in marketing, advanced mathematics or statistics
- Progressive experience with Ecommerce technology and proven track record of business-to-consumer SEO practices.
- A thorough knowledge of search ranking factors
- Familiarity with industry-standard SEO software
- Experience managing a team of content writers, link builders, bloggers and social media marketers
- Detail oriented, excellent communications skills, conceptual, can work under pressure of deadlines and multi-task
- Possession of strong written, analytical and verbal skills
- Ability to work independently and quickly, and as part of team to execute tasks.
- Solid understanding of search engines, their algorithms, and their spiders.
- Knowledge and experience with Dreamweaver or equivalent
- Possession of up-to-date knowledge and maintains current SEO practices
- Strong technical background preferred, including experience working with IT on SEO tacticals.
- Strong reporting skills a must, with ability to analyze data and effectively communicate trends.
- Experience managing SEO outreach program and creating a diverse backlink strategy desired.
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Allan Seibert. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Allan for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.