MADISON HEIGHTS, MI – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
We are working with our pals at Moosejaw Mountaineering, who seek a Software Developer to be based in Madison Heights, MI. This is our third search for them, and you can learn a lot about the client from our previous job postings HERE and HERE.
Moosejaw is the most fun outdoor retailer ever. They sell the finest gear and outerwear through moosejaw.com, their catalog, and in 11 retail shops in Michigan, Illinois, Massachusetts, Colorado and Missouri. It’s a very exciting time for them, as they’re opening stores throughout the country to go along with their rapid online growth. At Moosejaw, the goal is to make shopping as much fun as climbing in the Himalayas.
Not that climbing in the freezing cold weather is fun but you know what I mean.
Anyway. Moosejaw needs a Software Developer to add to its headquarters in Madison Heights. The Software Developer position is a newly created role and will be Moosejaw’s first in-house development position. The really cool thing about this role is that it’ll blaze the trail for all future in-house development efforts. Blaze of glory.
It’s a killer leadership opportunity and one that’ll allow for some awesome Mr. Miyagi style mentoring.
The Software Developer is responsible for developing, maintaining and supporting the technical aspects of Moosejaw’s ecommerce strategic initiatives, including implementing new features and functionality and upgrading the old ones. This person should be excited by software design, development and research.
The role will focus primarily on working in an environment utilizing Java and SQL/DB2 and will interface with Moosejaw’s internal IT team, as well as off-shore developers to help maintain and build upon Moosejaw’s award-winning ecommerce site. Truly, Moosejaw is committed to doing leading-edge things online — as evidenced by their CEO, Eoin Comerford, shown here at Internet Retailer.
- Maintaining and enhancing the various pages of Moosejaw’s ecommerce site including checkout, product detail, search and marketing pages
- Creating and maintaining functional and technical documentation for all changes and enhancements
- Creating, performing and validating test scenarios for all enhancements and changes
- Actively contributing to the overall design and architecture of web applications
- Analyzing and diagnosing any issues that may impact performance or availability of Moosejaw’s ecommerce applications
- Independently designing, coding, and testing major features and delivering complex changes
- Providing post-implementation support for all changes and enhancements
- Developing standards-compliant cross-browser compatible web pages, landing pages and related functionality.
- Translating visual and written designs into efficient web application components
- Assisting the IT team with all department-related functions and keeping the VP of Technology informed on all necessary matters
- Doing really cool stuff that’s worth telling your best friend, neighbor, ex-g/b friend and creepy uncle about
Things Moosejaw wants you to bring to the table.
Must haves …
- At least 2 years of web development experience
Realy nice to haves …
- Endeca search platform experience
- Ecommerce web development experience
- IBM WebSphere Commerce platform experience
- This is just the nice-to-have stuff. Sans capitalization.
- Eclipse IDE
- Virtual environments (VMWare)
- General curiosity for complex problem solving.
- Ability to foster a sense of urgency, identify and overcome obstacles, balance the big picture with day-to-day activities/issues, and is persistent in the pursuit of results
And oh yeah: You must be extremely self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and innovative. Must be able to maintain a high degree of flexibility and enjoy a team based, collaborative culture where open communication, prudent risk taking and idea generation from all levels are encouraged and rewarded as part of the pursuit of corporate results.
Things Moosejaw will bring to the table:
- Great 401 (k) plan and benefits package.
- Casual dress code. Very casual. Like jeans, t-shirts and sneakers. I used the word sneakers instead of gym shoes because I like it better. Just in case you were wondering.
- Coworkers who will laugh at your jokes. Even if they’re just being polite.
- Cubicle-free work environment. However, you are encouraged to build a fort around yourself using couch cushions, pillows and blankets from your mom’s house.
- Rock-paper-scissors contests, ping pong, birthday beer Fridays and good music. Oh and a karaoke initiation. No joke.
- Amazing discounts on outdoor apparel, gear and Moosejaw products
This last bit was lifted word-for-word from the client’s own job posting. The guys are hucksters.
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Amy Branch. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Amy for a packet of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.
Get our latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)