ORANGE COUNTY, CA – EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To subscribe to our searches, click here. Alternatively, follow EcommerceJobs on Twitter. To add your resume to our confidential database, click here. To like us on FB, please click here.
We are working with Boot Barn in their search for a Digital Merchandising Coordinator based in Orange County, CA. Founded more than 30 years ago in Southern California, Boot Barn is a specialty retailer dedicated to providing its customers with one of the largest selections of top-quality western and work footwear and apparel available in today’s market.
With an 83-store footprint that spans across much of the Western US, the organization has a presence in California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Montana.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: Everyone wants to work for a great boss. When I think back on my own career, the jobs I loved the most involved my best bosses: People who were business-oriented. People who listened. People who truly cared about my personal and professional development. People who led by example. People who could use my hot buttons to get the best performance out of me. People who gave me stretch objectives that were “better than my best, but believable.” In my own company, I try to model those examples, and at times it can be difficult.
This job reports to Dave Gusick, an outrageously nice guy who reminds me of my best bosses: Dave has been an A-player in the Internet Retailer Top 500 for as long as I can remember. I was fortunate enough to place Dave at BootBarn last year, and since Dave’s arrival, BootBarn’s online revenues are up 50%.
When one thinks of western wear, the word “innovation” doesn’t always come to mind. But BootBarn’s suppliers are forever improving their lines.
I’ll refrain from giving you specific numbers here (call me for those), but nearly all of BootBarn’s primary metrics are headed in the right direction: Conversion rate; Shopping cart abandonment rate; Average order value; Average items per order; Repeat customer rate; Repeat customer revenue; etc. Everyone wants to play on a winning team, and Dave’s organization has a ton of forward momentum.
If you are a seasoned online merchant who craves a “voice” in your organization – this is the job for you.
Why is the job open?
While BootBarn has a team of excellent merchants who manage the technical aspects of merchandising, Dave believes that the company needs someone who specializes in the aesthetics of online merchandising. The new hire will be working with the buyers and the web support team to ensure that …
- BootBarn.com features the right product mix;
- The right products appear on the top levels of the site’s internal search results;
- Products are being portrayed in the most flattering way;
- BootBarn’s products’ most relevant technical attributes are brought to light.
- And much more.
According to Dave, “A lot of times, we have vendors come in and tell us about their new products. And they will always mention the product’s latest technical features: the treads, the last, the construction of the boot, etc. Their excitement is contagious, yet that stuff doesn’t always make it to our website, nor our competitors’ sites. Take any cowboy boot: Each vendor has several different attributes that they have test marketed and built into their product because they have done their market research and they know their customer.
We need to do a better job of bringing our vendors products to life online based on all of the features and benefits are available to BootBarn. There needs to be romance language. There should be multiple views of each product, and so much more. The list of things we could be doing is endless – and it changes all the time. We need to bring an edge to the way we market this product.”
As always, I have a huge amount of research to offer qualified candidates, in addition to inside information on the client’s key merchandising initiatives for 2012. Again, the is a great role based in sunny Orange County, CA. The comp is fantastic, and your new boss is a jewel of a guy. Apply below.
Please Tweet this job, and you’ll be automatically entered into our monthly drawing. Just do it and see what happens: 2010 prizes included $100 Amazon gift certs, Dean & Deluca steaks, and Keurig coffee machines …
Responsible for providing support to team members in merchandising and marketing across the Bootbarn.com website, bringing product to vivid, engaging & interactive life, combining the technologies and experiences uniquely available in digital with the product assortment, and monitoring a wide range of site usage metrics to optimize site merchandising and overall experience, including user pathways, traffic & abandonment rates, engagement rates & conversion rates.
- Coordinate with the buying department and vendors on new style additions, images, and product content.
- Develop and deliver an overall strategy of how to leverage web analytics and optimization to drive business results.
- Utilize web data and analysis to create concise conclusions and recommendations for improving the user experience, increasing conversions, optimizing marketing and merchandising, and positively impacting return on investment.
- Collaborate with buyers to develop cohesive assortments, competitively priced to achieve established sales and margin goals and to ensure brand integrity.
- Review merchandise reporting on weekly and monthly basis and collaborate in seasonal analysis meetings.
- Shop competition to identify new trends and ensure merchandising strategy and bootbarn.com is competitive.
- Any other duties as assigned by store management.
- Communicate with customers, management, and other employees
- Act as a liaison between merchandisers, buyers and e-commerce team
- Multitask and give clear direction to the team
- Read, count, and write to accurately complete all documentation
- Work varied hours/days as business dictates
- 3-5 years of online merchandising experience preferred
- 7+ years experience in retail, preferably footwear
- Bachelor’s degree
- Must have experience with web analytics, Excel, PowerPoint
- Must have proven experience in driving change and creating support across an organization
- Must possess excellent communication and organization skills
- Must be flexible and have the ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry Joiner for a packet of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.
Get my latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)